About the Well Fed
The Well Fed Community Garden WFCG is a multi-faceted, financially sustainable, urban agriculture venture which grows organic produce, hosts community and education events, and is a center for urban agriculture in Raleigh. We partner with the Irregardless Cafe and Catering in downtown Raleigh, as well as donating 20% of our bounty to volunteers and neighbors. The farm has a dual mission:
– To grow produce organically: The WFCG is committed to the principles of soil health, organic farming and intensive crop production, utilizing intercropping and season extension. To maintain fertile and healthy soil, the garden utilizes no-till practices, incorporate compost, grow cover crops, and rotate our crops annually.
– The farm is committed to building community by offering Raleigh residents innovative workshops and volunteer experiences that demonstrate healthy lifestyles focusing on diet, physical and stress-reducing activities.
About the Agri-tourism Coordinator Job Position
This is a new position created to meet the Well Fed Community Garden’s growing Agri-Tourism presence. Offering a variety of opportunities for the community to visit the WFCG is critical to our mission: giving folks who might not otherwise be interested in the farm ways to engage. The Agri-tourism Coordinator’s primary responsibility is to oversee all events put on by the Well Fed Community Garden. The Agri-tourism Coordinator will report directly to property owners Anya and Arthur Gordon to establish and meet monthly goals. The Agri-tourism Coordinator will be working closely with the Manager, Farm Apprentices, and Catering Staff to meet these goals. They will work with the farm team to create an open and positive work environment.
This is a position is part-time (up to 20-25 hours per week) with a flexible schedule, with many events taking place on weekends and evenings. We understand that this person will have other responsibilities, perhaps also as a Garden apprentice, student and/or other part-time jobs. There is also the option for the Agri-tourism Coordinator to combine this position with the Garden Manager – to lead or work under the direction of the Produce Manager.
The Well Fed Community Garden currently hosts a variety of private and public events. The Agri-tourism Coordinator will be responsible for planning, coordinating, and managing all events with the help of Farm Apprentices and the Irregardless Catering team. They will also be responsible for introducing new events and ideas with the farm team. This position has the flexibility to grow with the person hired for it. Current events include:
– Monthly educational workshops
– Art in the Garden
– Yoga Classes
– Wine & Weeds with Garden Metaphors
– Cooking Classes
– Drumming Circles
– Farm Dinners (public and private)
– Annual Blackberry Festival
– Farm Tours
– Marketing: tabling events at appropriate City and Community gatherings
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to)
– Meet with farm team weekly to keep updated with farm
– Schedule events with farm team at least two months in advance and coordinate with hosts to plan the details of each event
– Work independently as needed, including weekends and evenings
– Support Communication by managing the Well Fed Garden website, email account, Facebook, newsletter and Instagram. Assist marketing team with advertising.
– Attend the majority of farm events, including set up and clean up after each event. If unable to attend, they must coordinate with Farm Apprentices to make sure there is a farm staff at each event
– Interface and partner with all range of community institutions and organizations
– Give farm tours and feel comfortable talking about the importance of urban agriculture
– We seek an Agri-tourism Coordinator who has excellent communication and interpersonal skills and has a passion for nature, farming and healthy living.
– This individual must be comfortable working with all age groups and backgrounds, communicating with large groups of people, and able to repeat information over and over without losing enthusiasm.
– They must be flexible and able to keep calm in stressful situations. This person must be hard-working, self-motivated, mature, flexible and able to work well in a group, they must be able to follow detailed instructions and repeat them to others.
– They must have a reliable form of transportation and be willing to occasionally use a personal cell phone for work related calls.
– This person must have a background in either event planning, communications, or agriculture.
– Must be able to lift 30 pounds, bend at the knees and hips and be 21+ years of age.
– The Agri-tourism Coordinator is an energetic person who is willing to take ownership in the mission and prosperity of the farm. They are self-disciplined, self-starter who enjoys sharing their delight in growing with the community and is dedicated to make our world a better place. This person is honest, reliable, responsible, organized, dependable and welcoming to folks of all cultures, races, identities and sexual preferences.
The work schedule for this position is flexible and some tasks are able to be completed at home if desired. The Agri-tourism Coordinator is expected to attend the majority of farm events (mostly held on weekends and Thursday evenings) and to attend weekly farm team meetings. This person will be expected to work 15-20 hours a week (but up to 25 if need) during the busy season (April – October). 5 hours per week should be dedicated to on-farm fieldwork in order to familiarize you with the farm.
Irregardless Inc. agrees to pay the Agri-tourism Coordinator an hourly wage of $10 – 12 per hour for up to 25 hours per week depending on prior experience. They will also receive an employee discount of 50% off at Irregardless Café and have access to fresh fruit, vegetables and eggs grown on the farm. Compensation can also be obtained in part with on-farm housing – a rent-free room with shared living. Additional compensation will be provided as this position grows. Compensation and responsibilities will be re-evaluated at the end of each season to adjust for growth.
Preferred candidates will verbally commit to at least a yearlong position.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Agri-tourism Coordinator Application”, a cover letter, a resume, and 2 references. Priority will be given to applications received before April 1st. We hope to fill this position by mid-April.
The Well Fed Community Garden does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), sex, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.