About the Well Fed
The Well Fed Community Garden WFCG is a multi-faceted, financially sustainable, urban agriculture venture which grows organic produce, hosts community and education events, and is a center for urban agriculture in Raleigh. We partner with the Irregardless Cafe and Catering in downtown Raleigh, as well as donating 20% of our bounty to volunteers and neighbors. The farm has a dual mission:
– To grow produce organically: The WFCG is committed to the principles of soil health, organic farming and intensive crop production, utilizing intercropping and season extension. To maintain fertile and healthy soil, the garden utilizes no-till practices, incorporate compost, grow cover crops, and rotate our crops annually.
– The farm is committed to building community by offering Raleigh residents innovative workshops and volunteer experiences that demonstrate healthy lifestyles focusing on diet, physical and stress-reducing activities.
About the Apprenticeship
The apprenticeship is a 10-15 hours/week position assisting with day-to-day farm tasks in exchange for housing. The goal of our apprenticeship program is to educate participants about organic urban agriculture and provide them skills and resources needed to move into an agricultural field. Successful apprentices are active learners, have clear goals and are willing to ask questions. Apprenticeships will run for 10 – 12 months from start date, with the option to renew appointment. Apprentices will live on the farm and work directly with the farm manager. Prior farming or gardening experience is preferred but not required. This is a part time position that is compensated through housing.
Garden Apprentices are energetic and love gardening. This person is honest, reliable, responsible, organized, dependable and welcoming to folks of all cultures, races, identities and sexual preferences. Preferred candidates are also passionate about environmental sustainability, community development, and urban agriculture. No prior farming or gardening experience required. Candidates who are willing to make a yearlong commitment are preferred.
Responsibilities will include (but are not limited to)
– Farm chores such as watering and caring for chickens
– Attend weekly farm meetings
– Farm maintenance such as mowing, weeding, planting, watering
– Harvesting and post production handling
– Participation as host and/or tour leader for agri-tourism events such as farm dinners, workshops, Yoga/Art/Drumming in the Garden and Volunteer workdays. This may entail several events a week, at which the Apprentice may be the lead representative of the Well Fed Community Garden. As a team, these responsibilities will be assigned to respect each team member’s schedule.
– Helping maintain social media accounts such as Facebook and Instagram
Apprentices are expected to
– Live on the farm and respect the farm and farmhouse
– Participate in all aspects of running a farm
– Work independently as needed, including some weekends and evenings
– Take ownership in the mission and prosperity of the farm
– Be hard-working, self-motivated, mature, flexible and able to work well in a group, they must be able to follow detailed instructions
– Be comfortable working outdoors in all weather conditions, comfortable standing or walking for long periods of time, able to bend at the knees and hips, and lift up to 50 pounds
Apprentices will work 10 – 15 hours per week, depending on time of year and farm needs. 10 hours per week will be scheduled directly with Produce Manager for farm work such as seeding, planting, weeding, mulching, etc. Up to 5 hours per week will be scheduled towards farm events and weekend chores. This time can also be used for off farm workshops, field trips, trainings, or community service work. This must be preapproved by Farm Manager. Apprentices must live on the farm, but will be able to take time off as needed. We expect that apprentices may have off farm responsibilities such as school or other jobs (not required) but should not work more than 35 hours per week outside of the WFCG, exceptions may be made if applicant can prove they are able to handle a heavy work load.
Apprentices will be compensated through housing including water and internet. This is valued at $450 per month or $8 – $10 per hour. Housing includes private room in 3 bedroom house, shared bathroom, living and kitchen space (fridge, oven, dishwasher, laundry included) with other farm apprentices. Compensation also includes access to fresh farm produce and eggs for personal use, along with outside educational opportunities. Apprentices will also receive an employee discount at the Irregardless Cafe (50% off). Apprentices are responsible for paying their own gas and electricity.
Apprentices must be respectful of the farm and farmhouse. Visitors are allowed (within reason) but must not interfere with work schedule. Indoor pets will be considered. Any damage to the house or property must be immediately reported to landowners. Smoking, weapons, or illegal drugs are not allowed on the property. Failure to follow any expectations in contract or lease agreement will lead to immediate removal.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Apprenticeship Application”, a cover letter, a resume, and 2 references. Priority will be given to applications received before April 1. Start and move in date is flexible but preferably in May.
The Well Fed Community Garden does not and shall not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion (creed), sex, gender expression, age, national origin (ancestry), disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or military status, in any of its activities or operations.