Well Fed Community Garden seeks a hard-working, passionate and committed farm apprentice to assist in all aspects of production on our 1/3 acre market garden. The apprenticeship will run from mid-April through mid-December of 2023
Farmer apprentices will work and learn each of the following production areas
- No-till crop production on the farm, including integrated pest management, greenhouse propagation, high tunnel production, transplanting, sowing, weeding, irrigating, fertilizing, and harvesting.
- Microgreens production and harvest.
- Compost operations.
- Infrastructure development, irrigation, farm maintenance, cleanliness and organization, distribution efforts.
- Farm stand and post-harvest pack shed.
- GAP food safety practices and recordkeeping.
- Farmer’s Market setup, sales and breakdown.
The most important skills we seek out in a farmer apprentice are a willingness to learn and work effectively and efficiently as a team member
- Strong communication, interpersonal, and relationship development skills.
- Ability to be open and flexible to new ways of working with diverse communities.
- Creative skills and ability to experiment to attain new, better strategies, approaches, and solutions to challenges.
- Flexibility and willingness to take on a variety of tasks along with an ability to work effectively in a highly collaborative team environment.
- Strong work ethic and ability to perform strenuous physical labor in inclement weather.
- Detail oriented.
- Cooperative, service-oriented attitude and ability to work independently and take initiative, set priorities, and see projects through to completion.
- Knowledge of plant life, food production, natural systems
Farmer Apprentices have the opportunity to spend up to 12 hours per week depending on their schedules. The Garden Manager will work with the farmer apprentice to set a weekly schedule. Work can be completed on the farm Monday-Sunday from sun up to sun down depending on what works best for the apprentice and the farms’ operations.
Farm Apprentices are compensated from the produce sales’ net profits based on their hours worked on the farm and the amount of product sold. We are piloting many new things at the farm this year, including the compensation for all farmers. Apprentices will also have access to fresh vegetables from the farm.
The Well Fed Community Garden does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, age, religion, disability, sex or gender, gender identity and/or expression, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, genetic information, the intersection of these identities or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state or local law.
We are now accepting applications. The DEADLINE to apply is MARCH 26th.